Asparagus & Pecorino Tart
Prep time: 10 min
Total time: 50 min
Using store-bought puff pastry is not a crime. In fact, I highly recommend it for putting together impressive looking hors d'oeuvres in a pinch, like this asparagus tart. Make it for Mothers Day and your mom will be convinced you’re moonlighting as a French pastry chef!
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry
- 1 cup grated pecorino
- 1 bunch asparagus – you’ll need about 15-20 spears
- 2 teaspoons German mustard
- Flour for rolling pastry
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
Let’s do it!
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Allow puff pastry to rest at room temp for about 10 minutes so that you can roll it out on a floured surface to a 12x18” rectangle. Transfer to a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Use a sharp knife to score the dough about an inch from the edge. This creates the crust that will puff up more than the middle. Use a fork to poke holes liberally on the inside of the crust.
- Bake for 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Cut ends of asparagus so that they’ll fit crosswise in the tart. Use a spoon or pastry brush to spread mustard evenly inside the tart. Sprinkle half of the cheese in the fart, then lay in the asparagus. Top the asparagus with the rest of the cheese, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and bake for about 25 minutes.