Shrimp Scampi with Asparagus and Herb Brown Rice
Shrimp Scampi is one of my all time fave meals- butter, lemon and shrimp = yes please!! A few years ago I started making it with rice instead of pasta and never looked back.
For this recipe, I included asparagus because I'm all about asparagus in spring time and then you at least get a serving of vegetables with this meal. I also start by treating the shrimp with paprika and a little red chili powder which gives it a subtle Cajun feel that I love. Now I can't imagine Shrimp Scampi without rice and Cajun spices!
Total time: 50 minutes if you use brown rice, 30 minutes if you use regular rice
1 lb shrimp, shells and tails removed (I always go with Gulf shrimp from USA)
1 cup brown rice + 2 cups water (or use white if you want a shorter cook time)
1 bunch or 12 - 15 spears asparagus, bottom thirds removed
7 tablespoons salted butter
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 shallot or small red onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon fresh thyme, minced
1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
salt + pepper to taste
Let's do it!
- Start with your rice: bring rice, water, 1 tablespoon butter, garlic powder, rosemary and thyme to a boil then cover and simmer on very low for 40 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand covered for an additional 5 minutes if all of the liquid isn't absorbed after the 40 mins.
- Season your shrimp evenly with paprika and red chili powder and set in fridge until ready to cook.
- Melt the rest of the butter in a large saute pan over medium heat, then add shallot/red onion and simmer for 3 or 4 minutes.
- Add the asparagus to the pan and cook covered for 6 - 8 minutes until slightly tender.
- Turn the heat up slightly, push asparagus and shallot to the sides of the pan and add the shrimp. Cook for 2 - 3 minutes, then flip the shrimp and cook for another 2 - 3 minutes.
- Add the wine, garlic and salt + pepper to taste and cook over medium heat to reduce wine by about a third, about 5 - 10 minutes.
- Serve over the herb rice and finish with a spritz of lemon.